Selected Works, Volume One On Sale
Jerry Prager, author of Legends of the Morgeti vol 1 &2 has published selections of poetry and prose from three of his previously published books, his blog The Well Versed Heart and unpublished works. On Sale at Macondo Books, the Bookshelf, in Guelph and the Eden Mills Writers Fest.
D'Etre Raisins

No sour grapes these,

rather the withered sweetness
of seasons lengthened
to aged fruition
chewed introspectively.

Tuesday, July 20, 2021

July 20 1982

Scuttling up Yonge before dawn

the morning of my twenty-seventh birthday,

my accomplishments to date,

a filing cabinet full of manuscripts

and rejection notices.

I have driven hack and cleaned vomit

from stifling halls while King Tut's death mask

looked on with a smile,

I have parachute-panted in Voodoo's

and held court

beneath spray-painted prophecies.

I have been laid in Anglicans woods

by a woman I never met again,

I have walked streets littered with roses

scattered under after-hour crowds

on my way to booze-can dance floors

overflowing with musicians, dealers,

groupies, strippers and sundry flotsam like me.


But now with the moon hours from predawn,

clearing clouds in the tunnel of downtown

I pass the archway of stone

that stands inexplicably at the mouth of McGill,

the women's club a few row houses in:

I'd once been a guest inside with a Halloween Butterfly.


North of Wood Street, two jean-jacketed headbangers

from Scarberia wade through junk strewn about Yonge – he

in an AC/DC t-shirt and she in one claiming

'And on the 8th Day God created Led Zeppelin'

– although I can't help but doubt it.


A copy of the Plain Truth magazine sprawls

with an empty bottle of wine in a doorway.

A transvestite sits with a male, dwarf-punk prostitute

on the steps of the Country Style Donuts

eating French crullers.


In the always-open Super Duper Sub Shop

the guy with the eternally greasy ponytail is working.


"If you like Genesis you'll love Myth"

claims the poster outside the Gasworks;

'Save Daily on Supermarket Specials'

answers the ad on the Star box.


I turn off Yonge preparing myself for the way

the leaves on the trees will animate

the final play of twilight,

instead I come across two coupling cats in the gutter.


Dawn pales into rolling clouds piling up

on the distinctly planetary horizon.

My door closes behind me with a click

that no on hears but me, and Atlas,

stained glassed into the mythos of window.


Before eventual sleep, there is a call from my brother

salvaging the last vestiges of my optimism with small talk.


No comments: